Jamaica:Trench town fund raising event and India-finding my roots...

Monday morning-first week of June: Guns N Roses playing November rain in my local cibercafe (not in person unfortunately!) as I gaze out the window wondering what this week will bring...I wish the view were nicer but we can't have it all...the Med is at least only a few minutes away and I know I will be missing it when I get to the UK in a few weeks time. Always anxious for a change of scenery and some movement and yet when I do..well, you know the saying, you don't know what you've got till its gone...
  Three of my articles in the local press over the last week-one about my novel and two about the great charity event I attended, organized by a friend of mine: This was to raise funds for a reading centre in Trench town, Jamaica. My big personal breakthrough has to be my starting another book, overcoming that crippling block that was completly doing my head in'! It's true that I had began a follow up to 'A Thousand Miles From Nowhere' however there is another story that I need to write either first or simultaneously...and so on Saturday night whilst waiting to go out it suddenly began to flow-all I can possibly say is this-if this really begins to flow in the right direction and take shape it will be a huge challenge in many ways...a trip of a lifetime-physical, emotional and Damn I'll have to do my research-INDIA awaits me!
Meanwhile I leave you with the birthplace of Bob Marley, a worthy cause, Miss Charlie Dimmock and I smiling sheepishly, some great Reggae sounds and a few pics...I shall continue listening to, 'Hotel California' (Sorry Guns N Roses ;) and stare moodily at the grim apartment blocks before me while I dream away about my next chapter...







On Saturday 24th May a charity event was held at ‘The Mistelera’ La Xara in support of the ‘Trench town reading centre’ in Jamaica. As a writer I felt compelled to be involved with a subject that is evidently close to my heart and learn more about the great work being carried out there. Long term Denia resident April Mills has been supporting the charity for a number of years now and explained how she first became involved:
‘I started collaborating with the Centre eight years ago after simply coming across a link to the website. The project appealed to me as I’m interested in Jamaican music and culture but also because the idea of making books available to kids was something I felt I would like to get involved with. I adored the library as a child and know the importance of reading.
So I would make personal donations when possible but soon became more involved  with active fundraising. With the collaboration of artists and DJ’s we’ve organized a number of reggae concerts and benefit events in different parts of Spain. Trench Town was not only the birth place of Bob Marley but also of reggae music and so many artists are pleased to get involved and support this cause.
Trench Town is a very poor district with a community that is presently trying to recover from 3 decades of political war and violence. The Reading Centre opened as a community initiative aimed at combating the high levels of illiteracy and to turn the youth toward opportunity and away from crime. It’s a library and learning Centre which, aside from the literacy programs, offers a whole variety of activities and workshops in creative arts, music, drama, book readings, study support, story-telling…plus a summer school which has been running for the last 8 years or so. It really is an oasis for the kids of Trench Town.
Roslyn Ellison is the Centre’s director and the main driving force behind the project since 1993: A remarkable woman that has managed to keep the Centre running even through the worse of the troubles in Trench Town.  And it’s a no profit / no fee org that receives no state support. Funding comes purely from donations so we have the ongoing challenge of finding and maintaining support.

The event was highly successful with a large turn- out-the live Reggae music lent to the ambience as well as drawing music lovers from far and wide to hear the likes of ‘Don Fe’-a well-known British Reggae musician/producer also resident in Spain and many others.
There was a variety of stalls selling clothes, music and of course mouth- watering Jamaican food.  A film documentary was shown during the afternoon to inform the public about the Centre and its history as well as to allow the audience to ask any questions they may have.
All in all the event was highly successful with funds raised for what most would agree is an extremely worthy cause.



Post a Comment

0 Comments